Among investigated psoriasis patients receiving biologics, 88% remained in sustained clinical response after 8 months of dose tapering. The low relapse rate, together with remarkable cost savings, supports this approach as an effective strategy for treating psoriasis.
Biologic therapy results in long-term low disease activity or even clinical remission in patients with moderate-to-severe psoriasis; the downside is the high costs. Dr Juan Raul Castro Ayarza (Medicarte, Colombia) and his team performed a cohort study to investigate whether optimisation of treatment by a progressive dose reduction or increase of the administration interval can still prevent relapses in these patients .
Patients presenting with psoriasis to a specialised, multicentre health institution in Colombia who were above 18 years of age and treated with biologic therapy with a sustained response for at least 12 months were included. They were treated with different biological agents, including anti-TNFs, ustekinumab, secukinumab, ixekizumab, guselkumab, and risankizumab. Optimisation strategy was achieved either by dose reduction or interval administration increase. Of the 467 patients, 12.2% (n=57) met the optimisation strategy criteria. The majority were men (65%) with a median age of 57 years and a duration of psoriasis of 15 years. They were receiving treatment for 4 years, and the dose tapering was done over 8 months. In 85.8% of patients, the tapering strategy was performed by an increase in the application interval and the remaining 14.2% by dose reduction. Among the patients undergoing the optimisation strategy, 16.4% (n=14/85) received ustekinumab, 14% (n=20/142) adalimumab, 12.6% (n=9/71) secukinumab, 12.3% (n=8/65) ixekizumab, 10% (n=3/30) etanercept, and 7.5% (n=3/40) guselkumab. Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) >10 was defined as a relapse, and Kaplan-Meier estimates were used to calculate the relapse rate by biologic therapy.
Overall, only 12% (7 out of 57) of patients relapsed, and the incidence rate was 2.2 person-months (95% CI 0.97–4.4). No significant differences in relapse rates according to the type of medication were detected. As such, 88% of patients in the tapering strategy remained in sustained clinical response after 8 months.
- Castro-Ayarza JR, et al. Biological therapy optimisation (dose tapering) strategy in patients with psoriasis in a specialised health center in Colombia. DP17, SPIN 2022 Congress, 06–08 July, Paris, France.
Copyright ©2022 Medicom Medical Publishers
« How neoadjuvant atezolizumab changes T-cell dynamics in early NSCLC Next Article
Comorbid anxiety and depression may benefit from psoriasis treatment with certolizumab »
Table of Contents: SPIN 2022
Letter from the Editor
SPIN 2022 Highlights Podcast
IMIDs in Adults and Children: New Developments
Therapies for atopic dermatitis: still moving forward
Children with AD: high risk of bacterial infections in carriers of a filaggrin gene variant
Men on biologics report fewer adverse events than women
Conceptual framework of adverse drug reactions may improve treatment of patients with IMIDs
Psoriasis: The Beat Goes On
Systemic treatment for psoriasis: what is on the horizon?
Topical therapy in psoriasis: an important partner in combination therapy
GPP flares: pronounced undertreatment is common
IL-17A/F inhibitor bimekizumab shows higher response and maintenance rates compared with secukinumab
Paediatric psoriasis: ixekizumab beneficial in difficult-to-treat areas
Psoriasis patients see great benefit in achieving complete skin clearance
The Future Is Bright for Vitiligo
Predilection sites for skin signs of vitiligo disease activity determined
Where Are We Now in Hidradenitis Suppurativa
IHS4 better suited as an outcome measure in HS trials?
New treatments for HS: IL-17 inhibitors next in practice?
New Treatment Options in Alopecia Areata
Alopecia areata: light at the end of the tunnel
Alopecia areata pathogenesis: known genetic background, unknown environmental triggers
Best of the Posters
Psoriasis treatment: no elevation of MACE and VTE on deucravacitinib
Comorbid anxiety and depression may benefit from psoriasis treatment with certolizumab
Dose tapering in psoriasis is associated with a low relapse rate
New insights into psoriasis comorbidity
Biologic psoriasis treatment to lower cardiovascular risk?